Keep your HVAC system in its best shape to enjoy maximum comfort with a long operating life:
- Regularly replace the filter - We recommend changing the system filter at least twice a year – once before the heating season and once before the cooling season. Make sure to also Keep components clean, especially the outdoor condenser/compressor unit. Removing dirt & debris and cutting back vegetation to at least two feet on all sides can greatly improve the your AC results.
- Use a programmable thermostat - When you’re away from home or at night when sleeping, allowing the temperature to change by 10 degrees closer to the air outside for 8 hours or more can save 5%-15% on heating and cooling costs.
- Have your HVAC system serviced by a trained technician twice a year - HVAC tasks like checking combustion in gas or oil furnaces or ensuring there are no leaks in a refrigerant line are best left to experts. Make sure to schedule regular system checks with Harbin.
- Insulate and air-seal your home properly – HVAC equipment is much more efficient if the home’s shell is efficient. (for a diy guide, check out this one from EnergyStar.gov.)
- Make sure your system is the correct size - When planning for a new HVAC system, insist that the HVAC contractor perform exhaustive “Manual J” calculations to calculate the system size. Systems that are either too small or too large will not run efficiently, provide poor comfort, not properly address the home’s humidity needs, and will likely fail earlier than necessary.
- Make safety a priority - Install and maintain smoke and carbon monoxide alarms for your family’s safety.
- Upgrade to geothermal heating - Geothermal heating doesn't need to be Complicated. If you heat and cool with electricity, consider upgrading to geothermal heating and cooling. Customers who choose to use geothermal power can save a lot of money on their energy bill. Geothermal power is not only affordable; it is reliable and environmentally friendly. Emissions produced from geothermal systems are much lower than other products.